Imagine the scene. Elvis Presley’s Heart Break Hotel is playing on the radio. James Dean is starring at the cinema. And the “rock ‘n’ roll” craze is taking hold across London’s hottest nightclubs.
These were the fabulous Fifties. But an important date in our history also took place during this golden era. The first Henry & James office opened in Motcomb Street in 1950. Not quite as memorable as Presley and Dean, but a decade defining moment for our family-run business.
Over the past half century or so, we have sold properties to those looking to trade up, trade down or more recently to an increasing number of older people retiring to the city. We have helped many first-time buyers leap on the housing ladder, too.
Our clients have included celebrities, royalty and those in search of their dream homes. We don’t often sing our own praises, but here are 20 testimonials from our clients over the years. Thank you to all of our loyal customers. Roll on the next 65 years.
- “Henry & James have been a class act throughout the sales process. With a market valuation far higher than their local competition, they worked professionally and passionately, and with excellent relationship skills to realize a figure close to their valuation and some 30 per cent above the valuation place on the property by three other local agents. I never thought I would say this to an estate agent with 2.5 per cent commission, but I do believe you guys have earned it!” B.G. Halkin Place
- “You got me a tenant in four days. The previous agents failed to get anyone in six months. Henry & James are superb and, so far, I have found the management side to be efficient, too.” C.B. Kinnerton Street
- “Thanks again for following up, best agency service EVER. It is a miracle here in London!” S.G. Arkwright Road
- “Henry & James have been a pleasure to work with from moment one. No time wasting and they only showed me properties that were relevant and in line with my specific brief so it really saved time. The follow up has been tremendous, from a wonderful box of fruit in the kitchen when I arrived, to help with minor fittings – nothing is too much trouble and I get a very quick response. Definitely a big notch above other agents in the area.” J.B. Cadogan Gardens
- “When we first met you in early December, you were very positive about the price which could be achieved and in fact you persuaded us to agree on a sale price which was 20-25% higher than that suggested by two local competitors. The management of the process was first class, always ringing us first to book an appointment to show the flat to prospective buyers and giving us a debrief afterwards. To have exchanged contracts and completed within a month of the original offer was a triumph. We will certainly use you to find our next flat in London and I am happy to recommend you to friends of ours seeking advice in the Belgravia residential market.” T.S. & S.S. Eaton Square
- “I was very impressed with the level of service and good honest advice that H&J gave me when selling my property. Not only did they secure a suitable offer, they worked diligently throughout the sales process to make the transaction as smooth as possible. I would happily recommend them to anyone.” A.D. Chesham Street
- “Just wanted to thank you again for everything. From the unique and creative Daska House attempt to the welcome bag, bottle, and fruit basket; you’ve gone far above and beyond the call of duty. You’re a credit to H&J. Thank you ever so much.” A.M. Jubilee Place, SW3
- “Unlike some agents I have found you and your team to be true professionals, helpful with a very good knowledge of the area and market.” J.S.
- “We have been clients of Henry & James for multiple years, and for multiple properties in the Belgravia area. We have engaged them on an exclusive basis for both lettings and management. Key aspects we value are: constancy of team composition, low tenant turnover, superior market rental rates, monitoring of payment transfers, fast turnaround in the case of tenant change-over, efficient supervision of the properties, attentive treatment towards tenants and responsiveness to our queries from time to time. I can say without reservation that they have provided excellent services on all these aspects, and I would recommend them very highly to any landlord in the Belgravia/Chelsea/Knightsbridge area. Our intention is to be working with them for many years to come.” O.M.
- “It has been all perfect with Henry & James.” Y.Q. Sloane Gardens
- “The team at Henry & James, Belgravia office, have been brilliant throughout the whole sale experience. Very friendly and extremely professional with a great personal touch, excellent communication through the whole process, highly recommended. Many thanks once again.” C.P. Wilton Row
- “We are very confident that the flat will be in good hands with H&J managing it. We were very impressed with your knowledge and professionalism.” M.N. St George’s Drive
- “As a landlord who is always travelling I felt completely looked after by Henry & James during the letting process, knowing that they would gladly assist with issues which were difficult for me to deal with when I was abroad.” M.F. Chesham Street
- “It’s been an absolute pleasure dealing with you and may I thank you for all your hard work and diligence during the time I have known you.” A.R. Eaton Square
- “A boutique agency with enormous expertise and fantastic negotiating skills. H&J is a rare agency that treats its clients with superb professional and personal care – maximum marketing exposure, excellent feedback after every viewing, a sense of true partnership, no pressure, and unlimited post-sales TLC, nothing is too much trouble before, during or after the relationship. .Henry & James transcends the negative stereotype of ‘typical estate agent’ in every way, it is like having a friend doing your work for you.” L.N. Brompton Road
- “As a first time client in the letting market with Henry & James I have only positives to share. I stopped into their Motcomb location with little viewing time at my disposal. In a few hours I had seen several properties. All were in very good condition. My agent could not have been more helpful, listening to my priorities and quickly answering my questions and concerns. Having now moved in to one of their properties, the level of support and attention to detail has been spectacular. I strongly recommend this company. It has been a pleasure.” B.M. Pont Street
- “One of the unexpected benefits of renting Caroline Terrace has been the outstanding property management services provided Henry & James. For this reason, our preference would be to stay as one of your clients.” N & J.M. Caroline Terrace
- “The service, as always, was truly excellent! I have no further comment, “excellent” covers everything.” G.M. Hill Street
- “I hate moving, thus our nine years at Cadogan Square. We enjoyed the place greatly, but the main thing that kept us there was your prompt attention to our requests.” R.C. Cadogan Square
- “Henry & James are always an absolute pleasure to deal with. They are the most straight talking estate agent (at least from the seller’s perspective) I have dealt with. We were thoroughly impressed with the level of customer care and attention to detail which was taken aboard by Alex and his team, as well as the flexibility they offered. They fully understood the sensitivity of the situation, our difficult financial position at the time, and our need to sell quickly. They also did very well to keep on the ball during the (often lengthy) finalisation period. That accompanied with an extremely quick turnaround of less than 6 months on a one bed flat in Belgravia, selling for 100k more than the quoted accredited valuation price and a very tailored service leads me to no hesitation when recommending Henry & James to any seller in London. Henry & James are clearly a very personable firm who like to not only sell properties but build relationships, and I hope to find the pleasure of stumbling upon them in the near future.” N.K. Ebury Street
Back to News